Friday 24 October 2014

Please watch this video.



Please look at this video with subtitles.


Today I realized next Friday is a holiday and therefore, thought...Oh no....No class next week, too bad. It made me think and  I’ll write to you about a thing I find funny about our culture.  I remember when I grew up I had only heard about Halloween in books. But we celebrated all saints day and sometimes would visit relatives at the cemetery. I am not sure when in the past few years, things changed so drastically, all I know now is  in Santiago from children to adults all celebrate an initially  “Irish celebration”. I do understand with globalization it was only a matter of time before this became a huge thing but if you look at the rest of Latin America, none of the countries participate as actively as Chile does.


I suppose I would not mind it if we also celebrated some important indigenous  dates or local dances but I feel my issue with this is that  we are always embracing things which are so foreign to us and not paying attention to what is right here. I do understand we have a need to party and are always looking to have a good time, and I think this responds to a very sad fact; People are always tired and many of them unhappy in a very unequeal society.

how do you guys feel about this?

9 comments:

  1. I like a lot to party, but the cuestion (for which I think you have the awnser in your lasts words) is why partying is the only thing that we found to be interesting.

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really interesting to wonder about the origin of the things that we celebrate. Moreover, I enjoy a lot with Halloween because I have many child memories about me with different costumes, going for candies, etc. Halloween is a very funny party for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it just a matter of temporary style... maybe ten years later we never celebrate that date in this sense... I think is very boring Halloween issues...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm agree with you, we are always keeping alive foreing traditions and forgetting to celebrate native or local traditions. Nice topic to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! you are right... we need put more attention in our culture before that prefer other... :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a kid I used to say: why we don’t have Halloween?, I want to where a vampire costume and do some naughty thing like throw toilet paper and eggs to are neighbor house! ... so I'm glad that we could do it now !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'am indifferent whit Halloween but is great that be a holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never celebrated Halloween when I was a child, because my mother talked me that this celebration isn't ours. But I enjoy this free day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that celebrate Halloween it´s ok! . Obliviously this commemoration isn´t represent our culture; but our practices are consequence of the globalization! ...and always the important is have a reason for go to parties :D

    ReplyDelete